Inner thigh pain can commonly occur after a demanding physical exercise, especially if you strain any of the muscles in this area. It can also be caused by compression of the nerve or a specific medical condition.
In this article we will be going through a comprehensive list of pain causes in an effort to help you identify the root cause of your pain so you can address it accordingly and treat it, if it does not require medical attention.
Causes Of Inner Thigh Pain
There are numerous possible causes of this pain, but the most common one is quadriceps muscle strain.
Quadriceps femoris muscle (quadriceps thigh muscle) is the largest thigh muscle group, built up of four muscle branches located on the front of the thigh. One particular muscle branch, called Vastus Medialis (Inner Branch), is located on the inner side of the thigh bone. If a person suffers a direct blow to this muscle, it will get crushed against the bone and cause inner thigh pain.
There is another large muscle group, located on the inner thigh area called Adductor Muscles Of The Hip (adductors are muscles that moves the limb to the medial line of the body). These muscles are known to cause pain, especially if they are overstretched or overstrained. This can happen during running, playing sports or during any other high impact activity that involves sharp turning and sudden stopping.
There is also something called “Hamstring Strain,” which is nothing more than a strain to the hamstring (group of muscle tendons located at the back of the knee). An injury to this tendon can cause pain experienced toward the inner thigh.
Other common causes are:
- Osteoarthritis in the hip joint – osteoarthritis is a condition where the cartilage in the joint deteriorates, causing the bones to literally rub against each other, without the supportive cushion. Depending on the progress of the disease the pain can vary, but the patient will definitely feel it – in the hip joint, and if it gets more intense, inner thigh pain may appear
- Surgery – even though the goal of every hip surgery is to improve the quality of the patient`s life, hip replacement surgery may put some additional strain to the muscles of the hip, resulting in mild pain
- Groin pain – it is not uncommon for groin pain to extend to the inner thigh area, especially if the patient is suffering from groin hernia. It occurs when tissue pushes through the weak spot in groin muscle, usually during a strenuous activity such as weight lifting or severe coughing. If you develop groin hernia, you should speak to your doctor
- Pregnancy – obviously, during pregnancy the body is under lot more stress than usual and pubic dysfunction can occur. What happens is the ligament holding the pelvis in place becomes loose which may cause pain, especially when walking or standing
- Osteosarcoma – osteosarcoma is a bone cancer, usually affecting pelvis, thigh bone or shin, causing pain as it grows
Since the most common cause of inner thigh pain is muscle strain, you should pay more attention to your muscles, especially if you spend most of your day sitting (you have a sedentary jobs for example).
Two of the best exercises for thigh muscles (and entire body for that matter) are walking/running or swimming. Yes, I know, swimming does require a bit more time and preparation, and running does require a certain level of physical fitness, but you can always find time for a short, 30-minute walk around the block. If you have a super busy day, just get up 30 minutes earlier and take a walk, fill your lungs with fresh air and enjoy the morning Sun. I guarantee you will feel 100% better!
Cycling is another great exercise, targeting legs and thighs, so it would be a good idea to ride a bike to work (provided it is physically possible).
If you are interested in some exercises, I suggest you start with some of our other articles:
and if you are looking for something a bit more intense, you can try these: Mourning Exercise Routine
These are some of the best exercises to get you started, but if you have any limiting medical condition, I suggest you talk to your doctor first.
Getting Some Immediate Relief For Inner Thigh Pain
I am sure some of you reading this article, are in pain right now, and are looking for a “quick fix.” Well, here are a few things you can do to help relieve the pain:
- Hot, steam bath can help, to a certain extent
- Gentle massage using olive oil
- Warm clothes, blanket or even a heating pad should help
- If the pain is caused by muscle strain, you can try elevating your leg and applying ice to the painful area. If the ice on your skin feels uncomfortable, you can wrap it up in a towel and hold for 15-20 minutes